Monday, June 22, 2009

Thunder and Lightning

A few days ago a pretty big storm hit our part of the country. Thunder, lightning, huge gusts of wind, and driving rain. Storms like these both frighten and intrigue me. I like to sit and watch the storm, always from my safe place in the house.

When I watch a storm I usually sit by the windows that overlook the city. Its great for watching storms move across the valley. Today though, I was content to sit by the dinning room windows typing away at my computer, occasionally observing the progress of the storm. Well the storm died down and I began to relax. We don't have storms like that everyday. Especially in the Northwest.

Well I was just about to send an email when out of nowhere it hit! This huge clap of thunder accompanied by a bolt of lighting so big that you could see it out from the windows on both sides of our house! Seriously, it could have been a rainbow, in that it totally circled our house! It was at least 3 feet from the window I was sitting at!

This sudden burst of electric and decibel awesomeness, (it could've been God paying a visit) scared me so bad that the breath was just about knocked out of me. No joke. I was also terrified into action. .0000000001 after it hit I dove to the floor, knocking over my chair in the process, and covered my head. I would have screamed but its hard to do that when you've got the wind knocked out of you.

When it hit I wasn't the only one scared. I think all of my family members jumped or screamed in fear. When I dove to the floor they thought I had been hit by the lightning. I was so scared I thought that too. After things calmed down a little I picked myself up off the floor and tried to get my breath back, and slow down my heart.

Lets just say that it took me a while before I could type on my computer.

Shaky kands make it too hard...

1 comment: